Smugmug is a favorite of professional photographers. It is a little different than your other stock photo marketplaces as it is subscription based. With SmugMug, you get to set the prices of your own photographs. It is lot like an online gallery or portfolio – with the added benefit of being able to sell your photos online.
You get to make a digital storefront to showcase your brand portfolio and your photos can be easily shared by email and social media. It’s like having your own stock photo website without the cost and pain of maintaining a site.
In addition to selling digital downloads, you have the option of selling prints and greetings cards too. Moreover, you also have the opportunity to choose a plan and make use of the power of the “Pro” bundle, offering you “one-click” e-commerce.
- You get unlimited storage space. A lot of photo-sharing platforms limit this and the amount of time you’re allowed to keep your photos up. With SmugMug, even if you have the most limited plan, you can upload any amount of photographs, set the privacy to client viewing, and keep them on the market however long you like.
- SmugMug is not free. You have to sign up for some plan- the the lowest-tier plan is for $6 a month. You also pay them 15% from every purchase. So, oftentimes you may have to raise the price to cover for that commission.
- You can use your own domain only if you have the second-tier subscription.
- You can customise your SmugMug portfolio with templates, ready-made designs and even your brand colours.
- Unusually, they even offer a shopping cart integration so your customers can buy your images (and products with your images printed on to them) most quickly and easily.
- There is an Adobe Lightroom plugin, and along with unlimited storage, this makes SmugMug perfect for those photographers who haven’t gotten around to creating their website yet.
- The main distinguishing feature is the ability to use SmugMug’s printing service create prints, books, and greetings cards from your snapshots.
- There are also some additional features such as the ability to create coupons, photo packages, and built-in analytics.
- You get a free 14-day trial to test drive it before you need to begin paying for your subscription. Every plan comes with unlimited cloud storage and unlimited photo uploads. Right now you can get 15% off when you sign up with SmugMug.
While SmugMug requires a monthly subscription, the profit potential is much higher as you get to keep 85% of the markup price! This significantly higher than the highest payouts for almost every other website. Plus, this can be a good option as you can sell digital downloads and actual prints.
Smugmug is an excellent site for those photographers with an entrepreneurial mindset. They let you choose how much to charge for your photos, and they let you keep 85% in commissions.
So how do they let you earn that much money? Here’s an example for that from their website:
“If you sell a 5×7 for $10.79 and the SmugMug default price for it is $0.79.
The markup is $10.00. You keep $8.50 as profit (85% of $10)”.
However, you’ll need to sign up for a monthly membership, which costs, at minimum, $200 per year on the Portfolio plan, though the plan gives you access to a lot of ecommerce tools to help sell photos online.